What Will I Learn?
Wire Rope Inspection Course Details
This 3-day Wire Rope Inspection Course is designed for all users of wire rope and responsible persons on in-service inspection of wire rope to appreciate the statutory requirement for examination and discard criteria for a wire-rope as accredited by the Lifting Equipment Engineers Association [LEEA].
By the end of this Wire Rope Inspection Course delegates should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of wire rope terminology, constructions, characteristics, and effect on rope performance, safe use & handling, and applications, through a short written test.
- Apply the statutory requirements for examination of wire rope in service.
- Get the best out of their products whilst maintaining a safe working environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of wire rope examinations and discard criteria.
- Statutory reporting and Certificate of examination
Wire Rope Inspection Course Outline
- The Responsibilities of a Wire Rope Inspector
- Wire Rope Manufacturing – an introduction to manufacturing processes and testing.
- Rope terminology – up to date information on the different types of rope available, how they are designated and how they are classified.
- A practical assessment of steel wire rope characteristics including an appreciation of rope strength, flexibility, fatigue, wear, abrasion, rotation and elongation.
- Rope terminations Good, bad and indifferent.
- Rope Deterioration
- Examination Procedure
- Discard Criteria
- Cumulative (combined) effects of discard
- Examination records and reports
- Examples of used (failed) wire ropes (a black museum)
- A written examination
Candidates are assessed both theoretically and practically in the course of the training against the requisite course objectives.