What Will I Learn?
The IWCF Rotary Drilling Well Control program comprises a Practical Assessment Exercises and Written Test papers on Equipment and Principles and Procedures for Assistant Drillers, Drillers, Operation Engineers, Drilling Supervisors, Rig Managers, Tool Pusher, and Offshore Installation Managers, based on the IWCF Certification Standards.
- Set up for drilling operations
- Communicate as appropriate with the Supervisor
- Recognize a drilling break and positive kick
- Perform the shut-in within the shortest possible time in accordance with a selected procedure
- Bring the pump up to kill speed whilst maintaining constant bottom hole pressure
- Give all appropriate instructions to the Driller at the commencement of the exercise
- Check that all these Instructions have been implemented
- Collect all appropriate data and complete a ‘useable’ kill sheet
- Kill the well using the appropriate procedure (Wait & Weight or Driller’ Method)
- Operate the remote choke and make adjustments in accordance with the simulator time
- Delay to maintain constant bottom hole pressure
Delegates attending the IWCF Rotary Drilling Well Control are required to demonstrate practical knowledge of respective tasks during a well control exercise measured against a set of performance criteria, using an electronic simulator. During the exercise, delegates will be assessed on their ability to perform the above functions.